Extending Your Home: Dos and Don’ts
If you can get it right, an extension is the perfect way to get much needed space without having to move. We look at how to do it…
- Define your objectives and prepare a realistic project schedule.
- Plan ahead and set up a contingency fund.
- Approach the planners first and find out what is likely to be acceptable.
- Look carefully at finance. How much value will your extension add? What are the best deals on loans?
- Put structural works before cosmetic and aesthetic improvements and work from the outside of the house inwards.
- Always try to go for a fixed price contract.
- Check that the builder has relevant past experience and a good trading history; that they has an office address; that they are able to offer references; and that the company has third party insurance.
- Change your mind if all all possible. It may result in a hefty budget overspend.
- Ignore site and home insurance. Is your contractor’s cover sufficient or do you need to take out extra provision?
- Forget the contract. It is essential to cover yourself. An exchange of letters is not sufficient.
- Necessarily go for the lowest quote. Busy builders may not be as competitive. References are far more important.
- Add too many bedrooms and not enough bathrooms. A good rule of thumb is one bathroom for every two bedrooms, with an en-suite for every guest bedroom. Otherwise, end value may be affected.
- Run into money problems. Make sure your extension is properly planned, designed and costed.
- Forget about building control. Before any works begin, you will need to submit either a building notice or a full plans application to building control.
Create your own Townhouse!
The government has said it will loosen planning rules in a bid to ease the housing crisis, with homeowners being given permission to build upwards. This proposal would make it easier to extend upwards by up to two extra storeys, as long as it is in keeping with the surrounding area
For more information on how we can help with your extension or property development plans call us on 01789 841888